One of the things you’ll find out if you spend a lot of time in large rooms filled with comics is that you start inventing little games to make things more interesting, and while we were going through the quarter boxes at the Con, Phil and I decided to see who could come up with the Most 90s Cover Ever.
Now, it’s easy to go with the big ones, like X-Force #1, but we decided to get a little more esoteric this time out. Phil’s is up over at his site, and here’s mine:
How many reasons are there that this is the most ’90s cover of all time? Thirty-six… caliber.
But here are the main ones:
- Jake Gallows, in addition to sporting a trenchcoat and bladed metal gauntlets, is wearing a fused-tooth grimace that even AxeWÃ¼lf’s Hellmut VandegÃ¤arde would have trouble mustering.
- He is also holding a giant machine-gun that ejects shells in defiance of the laws of gravity.
- Not only does it feature Wolverine, but WOLVERINE WITH SPIKED SHOULDERPADS…
- …who is deflecting bullets (?) with his claws…
- …but has sadly succumbed to almost fatal crosshatching.
- Daredevil’s gorilla arms.
- IT IS AN ISSUE OF PUNISHER 2099.
And perhaps most importantly…
Admittedly, it lacks both foil and a mullet, but I think I’ve made my case here. But if you want to get in on the action and take your shot at winning the fabulous prizes1 that come with finding the greatest representation of Dave Campbell’s favorite decade, feel free to post ’em. Ideally, they should be things that you buy specifically for this purpose (thus adding the extra challenge of telling another person “Yes, I would like to buy this issue of Brigade“), but I’m not picky.
That’s just how life is… on the edge.
1: There are no fabulous prizes.
EDIT: Kevin Wins.